Planning the Djembe Reskinning
Reskinning should really be done over two days to allow the skin time to set before tightening fully.
On your first try, allow about 3 hours, to fit, string and tighten the skin and another hour the on following day to retighten. It is best done outside, or on a washable floor.
If you're planning to oil the drum you will need to add a day or two in between dismantling and re-skinning it for the wood to dry. Once assembled, the skin will take a few days to dry.
- Preparing The Skin (60 mins soaking time)
- Dismantling the Jembe (20 mins)
- Filing The Shell (Optional)
- Repairing Cracks (Optional)
- Oiling The Shell (Optional)
- Cloth Wrapping The Rings (Optional)
- Making Hoops On The Rings (30 minutes)
- Assembling the Jembe (30 minutes)
- Tensioning The Verticals (45 minutes)
- Tensioning The Verticals (30 minutes)
- The Mali Weave (30 minutes)
You're ready to get started. Continue to Djembe reskinning.